24-Jul-2012 | The delicious. Produce Awards encourage, showcase and reward Australian producers, build awareness of culinary regions, and recognise fresh, seasonal food produced with integrity and a focus on sustainable farming and production processes.Now in its seventh year, the 2012 awards had a record number of nominations… over 2000!
After months of tasting their way around the country (what a terrible job!), the national judges: Maggie Beer, Cheong Liew, Philip Johnson, Alla Wolf-Tasker and Matt Moran, blind-tasted produce from 180 finalists to bring you the 2012 winners and medallists.
Tasmania featured strongly, winning six awards.
- From the Sea - Primary Medallist - Petuna Seafoods (Smoked Ocean Trout)
- From the Dairy - Artisan Medallist - Bruny Island Cheese Company (Raw Milk C2)
- From the Paddock - Primary Medallist - Cape Grim Beef (Grass-fed Beef)
- From the Earth - Primary Medallist - Shima Wasabi (Wasabi Flowers)
- Heritage Award - Duncan Garvey, Perigord Truffles of Tasmania
- ABC Local Radio Community Award - Penelope Dodd, Produce to the People Tasmania
"There was a huge variety to choose from," says E'cco Bistro chef Philip. "The line-up this year was the strongest we've seen yet."
To find out more and see the full list of winners, visit the taste.com.au website.